WHO WILL BE BAND OF THE YEAR 2017?
Every artist that makes time for a Great Music Stories interview during the course of the year is eligible for our end of year vote. Following the first round of voting across 167 bands over 4 weeks, the shortlist has now been reduced to 50 acts and you are able to vote for up to THREE of the artists below. Voting closes on Wednesday 29 November 2017. How the voting works
As ardent supporters of new bands and live music, we don’t give out gongs to our winner(s), but instead do something practical to help them:
- The winning band will get a Great Music Stories two-hour feature in 2018 plus a 6-month play-listing on Guy’s Friday rock show.
- The bands that come 2nd-5th will each get an Great Music Stories one-hour feature and a one-month play-listing.
- All the bands that make the top 20 will be the first to be offered an interview slot for 2018.
Well done to all the artists for making the final list of 50 – and thanks to around 15,000 people that voted in the first round.
How the voting works
A points system has been adopted drawing on a range of criteria to guard against spamming to ensure the final top 20 is fair to all bands, reflecting both their popularity and tangible critical milestones during the year to give a rounded picture of 2017.
- Website vote 1: For bands in the top 60 places of the original list of 167 bands, points 1-60 were allocated.
- Website vote 2: For bands in the top 20 places from the second public web vote points 1-20 were allocated.
- Listen again: The 20 bands with the most listens to GMS interviews over the course of 2017, points 1-20 were allocated
- Listener spot votes: For three Friday rock shows airing 17,24 Nov and 1 Dec live spot votes for regular listeners also gave the 5 most popular acts over the 3 shows points 1-5.
In addition to the public voting two merit scores were included before the public vote started, recognising a band’s objective successes and contribution to GMS and the Friday rock show during the course of 2017.
- A bonus 20 points was allocated to bands that gained ‘album of the month’ reviews during 2017.
- Bands that chose to offer exclusives and first plays also gained a points score 1-20 based on number of exclusives.
The total possible score for any band is 145: Overall, 73% of the total scores are decided by listeners. Website voting closes on 29 November.